Wow. I don't know if I've ever recounted the entire thing. I posted lots of info leading up to our wedding here, here, and here. I also posted a few pictures from the wedding here. Our wedding day was one of my favorite days of all time.
I'm a very "Type A" kind of person, so I had lists of lists from the very beginning phases of wedding planning. Who am I kidding? I had that thing mapped out from about the age of 12. Sure, details changed here and there (and the groom was missing for more years than I care to count), but I served as pianist for my first--the first of many--weddings that year, and I started learning what worked, what didn't, and what I DEFINITELY wanted to stay away from. Now, don't think I'm selfish. I went over the things on the list with J to see if there was anything he wanted to change or anything he wanted to include that wasn't on the list. (The list, by the way, was primarily music choices.)
My mom also has one of these overly-organized personalities. So, with the two of us together doing most of the planning on this wedding, things came together quite nicely--if I do say so myself. We had things under control. People kept asking me if I was stressed out, and then I'd panic becase I wasn't. Sure, maybe things got a little tense right before my meltdown at the rehearsal dinner (I think I was just missing all of the people who were no longer with us and wouldn't get to be a part of our special day--my aunt, my grandmother, J's dad...), but for the most part I'd been calm and collected throughout the process.
On the morning of our wedding, I woke up early. Like 6:00. I didn't know what to do with myself. I was on strict orders from my hairdresser NOT to wash my hair that day. (I'd washed it right before the rehearsal the afternoon before, and she said it would fix better if it wasn't super-clean.) Ew! I had a hard time with this one. I wanted to take a shower! Anyway, I got my bath and made the bed. Okay. I killed 15 minutes. Now what? One of my dearest friends was coming over at 8:30 to do makeup, and I wasn't scheduled to go get my hair done until 9:00. I still had some time to kill. For the first time, I was lonely in this big ole house by myself.
When I got back from getting my hair done--alone (I was a bit sad that no one was there to talk to me while she was doing my hair...I guess I had the whole Ste.el Mag.nolias scene in my head)--they made me eat a sandwich before doing my makeup. I wasn't one bit hungry, but I also wasn't in the mood to argue. Then, FINALLY, my mom arrived to take me to church. (J had my car--that's what we were driving from the church because I didn't want to have to cram my dress into his Mus.tang.) I arrived at 11:00 for pictures with my family, and the rest of the girls in the wedding party were to be there at 11:30. They guys came at noon, I think. The photographer (my dad's cousin) commented that he thought I was the calmest bride he'd ever seen. I had no reason to be panicked--everything was done. It would either all go according to plan, or it wouldn't. I'd still be just as married!
I was doing fine--no tears--until it was time to climb the steps. When I got to the top of those stairs and saw my daddy waiting for me, I melted. I think I said something like, "This is really happening. I'm getting married!" And we shared a tear and a smile before I took his arm and he led me down the aisle.
It was a gorgeous day--albeit hot--and I felt very fortunate to be able to pledge there in my church, before our friends and family, that we would take care of each other and love each other forever.
The only mishap...and I didn't even know about it until I watched the video...was that my niece cried during the whole ceremony. J's SIL "lost" her pacifier (funny thing--she had it downstairs before the wedding), and refused to look for it. Apparently everyone around them was distracted and knew that it was intentional. That made me mad, but I was completely oblivious to the crying during the ceremony.
It was a lovely day to marry my best friend.
Hugs,









1 comments:
What a wonderful wedding! Good for you for planning all of that by yourself. I did most of the planning too, and I was pretty rational and not stressed by the entire thing.
I am so glad that you two found each other!
Post a Comment