Thursday, September 23, 2010

IVF Class

Yesterday, J and I returned to the fertility clinic for our final pre-requisite -- IVF class.  Here, we met in a conference room with 6 other couples (seven of us total...yay for sevens!).  One of the clinic's IVF nurses conducted the majority of the class.  She went over a PowerPoint presentation (which she gave us a copy of) that details a full IVF cycle.  We also practiced the many different types of injections.  I was surprised that we are allowed to choose whichever FSH drug we would like (Brav.elle, Foll.istim, or Go.nal-F).  After having some trouble with the needle, I decided that I'm not smart enough for Brav.elle, and J and I chose Foll.istim.  (Later, in the car, J told me that he didn't think mixing meds would really be a big deal, but we decided to keep with our original choice.)

Because there were so many of us, we didn't actually get to meet with our own IVF nurse.  Instead, we met with the nurse who conducted our class.  She was impressed that we had all of our paperwork completely finished, as well as all of our pre-requisite testing done.  (Hey, what can I say?  I was told we'd have to have it ALL done before class.  I'm a rule follower.)  She said that rarely happens.

Then, she asked to see the sample calendar I received in the mail.  After checking my chart, she said that Dr. W wanted to try me on a different protocol.  While we went to check out, she made us a copy of our consent forms (okay, a second copy...little-miss-organization here already made one at home, but we are paying them enough to get a copy from them, too) and a new calendar (my protocol uses Foll.istim, Dexamethasone, and Ganirelix).  So, now, we're all set!  We got our prescriptions for Zp.ack for both of us and my prescription for BCP.  We'll get those filled by week's end, then all we have to do is wait for AF to show up and we're good to go.  We call in on CD 1 to get the other meds ordered and let them know we're starting. 

I can't believe this all happened so fast!  I really have mixed emotions about it.  On one hand, I'm glad I don't have time to change my mind.  I'd hate to miss out on motherhood because I kept chickening out.  But I also feel slightly pressured because we learned yesterday that if we don't do this with our October cycle, we'll likely have to wait until January or February.  While calendar-wise that might be better, there are so many factors that could work against us--largely, the weather, since we are traveling quite a distance for appointments.

So, I'll just put on my big girl panties and suck it up.  I have to believe that this will work.  While I know there is no guarantee, I have to believe it will or I just can't justify spending that much money on it.  I'm trying to be optimistic that by Christmas, we can share some very exciting news with our family. 

Oh, on other note...I'm so glad J was there when the nurse said that we should treat our body like it's already pregnant beginning with CD1.  He'd have never believed me if I just told him I couldn't vacuum!


Hugs and baby dust,

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wishing you such luck with cycle!

Jenni said...

Prayers are coming your way!

Kitty said...

Oh my gosh!! That DID happen so fast! Hurry up and get here, AF! I'm so excited for you!! (You probably couldn't tell by all my exclamation points!)