Saturday, May 7, 2011

I have skinny veins...

...or, at least that's what the nurse told me at the hospital last night.  She had a devil of a time finding a vein she thought would hold an IV.  I'd have preferred if she'd kept that tidbit of information to herself and just let me think she was looking for just the right one.  Other than that, though (and my hand being bruised and puffy and sore as a result), things went just fine.  I had no ill effects from the anesthesia, not much pain (a few cramps at first, but nothing major), and just a bit of light bleeding so far.

The hardest part of the whole thing?  While I was in recovery--had just awakened and was waiting to go back to my cubicle to be with J, they wheeled in a woman who had just given birth (via C-section, I'd assume) to a 9 lb some-odd ounce baby.  I think every person working in recovery walked over and congratulated her individually.  I wish they'd have pulled my curtain.  Sure, I'm happy for her.  But I just had my dead baby removed from my body because it was making no attempt to expel on its own.  I really didn't want to hear all about this new life that was in the world. 

But I didn't cry.  I didn't cause a scene.  Because that's what I do.  I suck it up, keep it to myself...and then blog about it later.  Gee, what did I do before the blog?

I just wanted to let you all know that I am (physically) doing just fine.  I appreciate all of the prayers and positive thoughts that went out for us yesterday (and all last week, for that matter).  I'm looking to be returning to "normal" soon and will do my best to stop by the blog of every person who offered me support and try to repay some of that. 

In the meantime, yay for skinny veins!  At least something I have is skinny!

Hugs and love,

6 comments:

justduckiekaa said...

I'm glad to hear that things went as well as could be expected. You are a strong woman. I don't know if I would've been able to hold myself together if I'd dealt with that right after my D&C. I am sure I would have caused a scene. Hoping for a quick, full recovery.

Jessica Anne said...

I know exactly how you feel! When I had my D&C I was in the waiting area of the fertility clinic and a woman had her kiddo there with her. I actually couldn't keep myself composed and did cry and later told the RE that I didn't think people should bring their kids there. I hope you are able to heal soon!

clewis said...

i also have terribly tiny veins,hard to draw blood, almost impossible when I have an IV put in!!! Just another damn hurdle. hope you are ok and not feeling too bad.

Marianne said...

Oh God Angie I've been thinking about you and just hoping you get through this okay. I can't believe they had you near any newborns - that shows absolutely no tact.

Rest and regroup. Blog your heart out - I think it helps so much and at times I don't know what I'd do without it.

Erin said...

I was balling after my D&C and every mama hen nurse came a running. That was nice.

Hope you're recovery goes smooth. As for the vein thing, I have petite veins too...it sucks.

Suzanna said...

I've been thinking about you all weekend. I'm glad to hear all that dreadful stuff went well and is now over with. I can't quite imagine the pain of that new mother being in the room with you. I don't know how you kept yourself together, but yes, THANK GOODNESS FOR BLOG! lol. I hope recovery has gone well for you thus far.