Friday, May 20, 2011

Follow-up #2 and a Plan

Whew!  I nearly didn't make it home to blog today!  It was a very long, busy day, but I didn't want to go to bed without at least making a record of what the doctor said at my follow-up today.  We traveled to Nash.ville for our follow-up with the RE bright (okay, it was cloudy) and early this morning.  I only took a half-day off work, so I was a little nervous about that, but it all worked out in the end.  We walked away feeling like it was a very informative appointment, complete with prescriptions, a possible new diagnosis, and a tentative plan for the future (though not a complete plan).

Dr. W again expressed her condolonces on our loss.  She asked how we were doing, and I told her that it just depended on what day/hour it is.  We were allowed to ask questions, and then she asked some of her own and took some notes about my family history.  Then, much to my surprise, she pulled some of the results of my bloodwork out of my file.  I didn't even know any of the results had come in yet, but I guess Dr. G had them sent to her ASAP because he knew we had an appointment today.  She said there were definitely some things there that caused some red flags.

She wants to repeat a couple of the tests just to be sure that the recent pregnancy didn't schew the results, but the results are pointing to lupus anticoagulant.  She also did an ultrasound and found the reason for the continued spotting intermitten with heavier bleeding.  There's still something there.  She prescribed Cyt.otec.  If you're unfamiliar, it's a collection of pills (in my case, 3) that I have to shove up my hooha and then proceed to wait for the cramps to ensue.  If they do their job, they'll help rid my uterus of the rest of its contents.  That sounds like some fun stuff right there.  I am to call on Monday or Tuesday to report the happenings.  This process may be repeated, and then I have to go back in a couple of weeks for another ultrasound.  If there's still "stuff" in there, they'll have to do something else.  I didn't ask what.  I like surprises.  Mostly. 

In addition, I have a prescription for Fo.lic Ac.id.  Lots of it, too. (2.5 mg)  Plus, I am to go back on my baby aspirin.  Oh, and when we are successful again (and she feels quite confident that we will be), we're likely looking at daily injections of Lov.evox/Hep.arin to prevent clotting. 

It's a lot to swallow, but I'm really kind of relieved to have something to blame rather than just having rotten luck.  (Is that bad of me?)  I would never wish for something to be wrong with me, and I am not looking for pity from anyone.  I'm sorry we didn't know sooner so that this angel could have had a chance.  We asked her when we could try again (as we'd been eyeing summer vacation for a few days now, in hopes that we can do this in the least stressful time of the year for me), and she said that we could check things physically in a month but to make sure we were ready psychologically/emotionally as well.  So, I don't know exactly how long we'll have to wait.  But I do know we're forming a plan to make sure that the next round has every chance to succeed.  And that's all I can expect right now. 

Excuse me, now.  I have a date with some pills and my sweats.  Thank goodness it's the weekend.

Hugs and love,

5 comments:

Erin said...

Whoa. That sounds more logical. I always heard that if you lose a baby after a healthy hb is established that a lot of the times it is something immunological. With the case of chromosomal it is usually a loss before the hb. Big hugs. You have been through a lot. I hope this new protocol is it for you.

I can't believe you still have some "residue" left over after a D&C. That really really sucks since the upside of a D&C is getting it all over with.

Miss Mac said...

I hope these answers and a new plan place you on the right path that it's too not long before you can try again.
Sorry to hear that you have to bring on cramps, yuck, but hope that works and there are no surprise procedures!

Anonymous said...

This all sounds very hopeful!!! I am sorry that you have pills to take, they sound kind of awful! But, we're all here sending you love!!

Kristen said...

I had a miscarriage/D&C a little while ago too and was told the same thing yesterday (that there's still something there). I bled for weeks and weeks after the procedure and now that's making sense...thanks for the info. Hope the pills work for you. Glad you're getting some answers.
xoxo

E and R said...

I am sure it is helpful to know that there was a logical reason for this to have happened - AND that there is something you can to to prevent it next time. I am glad that you have some answers. I also had to do the pills - it wasn't too bad for me, so I hope you have the same experience and don't have to deal with much more than you have already had to endure.