Thursday, March 24, 2011

Logic

I love, Love, LOVE logic problems.  I work them with my students, and I even bought a whole magazine-style book of them to take on vacation with me one year.  Yes, I'm a dork.  One time, I found this website that publishes a new logic problem every month.  I could hardly wait each month until they got the new one posted.  You could print them to work on paper or click through them right on the screen.  I shared it with my brother, the math teacher, and he liked it a lot, too.  (Yeah, we're all dorks.  Sorry, bro, if you're reading this.  It's not like you didn't know.

Now, most of you are familiar with my dilemma this week.  We transferred 2 grade B formerly frozen blastocysts 9 days ago, and our first beta is Friday (tomorrow).  I've had a scary week with some spotting and a bit of cramping.  On Monday (when it started), I was convinced that it was all over.  By yesterday, I wasn't so convinced and even dared to let myself hope again.  Thus bringing me to the big question: To test, or not to test?  That is the question.  Several of you chimed in with your opinion--mostly in favor of testing, by the way.  In case you haven't read my other blog posts, today would be the testing day if I parallel days with my fresh cycle.  So, did I test, you ask?  Let's work this out logically, shall we?

Here are the facts:
*I've had some light spotting all week.
*I've had some minor cramping all week (off and on--never constant)
*I haven't brought any school work home this week and have been staying off my feet as much as possible.
*I also have 13 stored up cheap tests that expire in July. 

Let's face it, I can't possibly have enough cycles between now and July to use them up.  And I don't want to be wasteful.  Not in this economy.  So, yes.  I tested.  Actually, I tested yesterday afternoon when I got home from school.  I hadn't had a chance to use the restroom since lunch, meaning I'd held it for just over 4 hours.  No since wasting that, either.  I went in with the mindset that a negative test could mean a lot of things: 1) my urine was still too diluted; 2) it was too early still; 3) it really didn't work and I will soon be heartbroken again.  However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that faint second line where before it has always been stark white.  (Well, except for my brief stint as an expectant mom back in November.)  It's not dark, but by golly, it's there.

Now, I know better than to get excited about this.  I probably won't get too excited until after the third beta.  I've been in this exact spot before, and have nothing to show for it.  Of course, I tested again this morning.  This time, the line was a tad darker.  I could see it even before turning on the light directly overhead.  I'm not taking off work tomorrow for the beta, so it will be around 3:30 before I get my blood drawn.  I promise to post results when I know them, though.  Not that I'm so interesting that you'll just be dying to find out, but I know how often I have checked others' blogs hoping to see news.  I'd hate to keep you waiting. 

So, keep us in your thoughts if you will.  I have a feeling it's going to be a long week waiting to jump that third hurdle. 

Now, to kill some time, I think I'll go find that logic puzzle website again...

Hugs and baby dust,

15 comments:

Erin said...

Uh huh, I knew it ;) Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

elephantscanremember said...

I knew it too! I can't wait to hear your beta results!

Lola said...

Great news!!! !:)

A Wife and a Teacher said...

Yeah!!! Praying for you!!!!!

M said...

TOLD YOU!!! ;)

Slight cramping and some spotting a few days before AF are GoOD! I knew it I knew it I knew it.

CONGRATULATIONS! Now praying for patience and sanity as you wait out the next days and weeks

Bird said...

Yes!!! 2lines!! 2 lines!!!!! Baby(ies) in tow!!!

Steph said...

Uh-huh, AM TOO dying to find out!!! ;)

What's that web site? Don't tell anyone, but I'm Stephanie & I'm a dork. (we have a "dorks anoymous" group now)

Brave IVF Girl said...

I'm a big fan of "so far so good"! Fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

Great news!!! I hope the beta comes back amazing!

Tanya said...

Praying for you and crossing everything I have for you!

ART said...

Sending you BFP vibes :D

Sarah said...

Yay! Sending good thoughts for those beta #'s to come back nice and high!!

~*JaYmE*~ said...

Congrats! Sending lots of sticky vibes!

Anonymous said...

With my first BFP I had spotting and cramping and thought for sure it was a negative. That pg was viable. With my second BFP I had no cramping or spotting, but someone knew it was a chemical. I don't know why or how I knew but I even walked into the office for my first beta and told the nurse it was a BFP but that it was a chemical. I hope this time is different for you and everything works out. Good luck!

Teresa said...

Awesome news Angie! I'm excited for you. Praying for a great beta.