Saturday, March 19, 2011

Frugal...Saturday?

Okay, so I realize that a "Frugal Friday" post would have been more poetically titled, but we typically run our errands and make our grocery trip on Saturdays.  Today was no exception.  We had a few additional errands to run, as I needed to pick up a few items for school that the PTO agreed to purchase (lucky me, I'm the treasurer), and J needed something for work.  So, off we went early this morning (okay, 9:00) to attempt to get back in the early afternoon. 

We got our Tar.get, Wal.Mart, and Office De.pot runs in before lunch.  That only left CVS (didn't find what I was looking for at 2 different stores!) and Kro.ger for on the way home.  It is the Kro.ger trip I am most proud of.  We managed to get about $110 worth of groceries for $40.03!  Here's how we did it

         1.)  J transferred a prescription, which gave us a $25 credit on our loyalty card.
         2.)  I purchased items that I had loaded coupons for onto my loyalty card (savings of $3.40)
         3.)  Kro.ger has a 10-item mega event going on: purchase 10 participating items/$5 off.
         4.)  Loyalty card savings: $55.13 (including the $25 from #1)
         5.)  Manufacturer's coupon savings (including a couple of doubled coupons): $8.35.

Deal of the day?  We scored some FREE Gi.llette body wash!

I had previously loaded an ecoupon onto my Kro.ger Plus card for $1.00 off.  But I hadn't been able to use it because they were out of it the past 3 trips I've made.  I also had a paper coupon from the Sunday paper from a few weeks ago for $2 off 1 bottle.  Now, I don't think you're supposed to be able to use both an ecoupon and a paper coupon, but I heard rumor that our Kro.ger didn't really say anything about it.  So I thought I'd try it.  The body wash is $3.99, but was on sale for $3.00.  I did nothing but scan my loyalty card to get the $1 off, then I handed the cashier my $2 off coupon with my other coupons.  He scanned it without saying a word.  So, FREE body wash!  Oh, yeah!  And it was a 16 oz. bottle, too.  Ah, it takes so little to make me happy.

Hope you're having a terrific weekend. 

Hugs and baby dust,

1 comments:

Samantha said...

I have been researching couponing all day! We save a few dollars by using the newspaper ones at walmart but I want to get more out of it! I am signing up for the kroger ones now to put on my card but what days do they double the coupons? Are they automatically doubled on your card on those days?