Thursday, September 1, 2011

Those were the days...

Today, I listened to a group of fifth grade girls chatter on and on (while making a model of a totem pole, mind you) about how many children they would have and what their names would be.  I remember having similar conversations with my buddies at their age.  I even made a list (and it's probably still hidden around somewhere in all my "stuff").  Of course, I don't really think any of the names my 10-year-old mind conjured up are still in the running, but it was nice to dream.  Had I known then what I know now, I'd have been miserable for most of my life. 

Then, out of nowhere, one of them turned to me and said, "Mrs. Angie, did you want to have children?"  (Because, you know, I'm too old to possibly want them now...at least to a 10 year old.)  I just smiled a solemn smile and nodded my head.  "Yes.  Yes, I did.  More than anything, darling," came my reply. 

Then they returned to their coloring and I finished grading the set of maps I had been working on.  For a moment, though, that little girl's future and my past connected and we shared an understanding. 

Ah, how I miss those simpler times. Good times. When children could dream up their futures.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice to have never lost that?

I love that you answered the way you did.