Friday, January 14, 2011

Going, going, gone (almost)!

Our snow has nearly melted away (hooray!) and we finally got to go back to school today after missing 3 days this week--we're up to 8 so far for the school year.  While I missed my cuddle time with Jax, I was glad to at least try to get back into a routine with my students.  We went to school an hour late today, though, so it wasn't even a truly "normal" day.

I've been on both sides of the fence on snow days, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed them a lot more when I was a student than I do as a teacher.  Don't get me wrong--I enjoy a surprise day off here and there, but with the pressure of covering curriculum before state testing, it sure puts a damper on doing the snow dance! 

My  mom was a teacher, too, so snow days were usually spent at home with her and my brother.  Mom would pull out a cookbook (her favorite kind of book--and the only kind she enjoyed reading) and look for something she had all of the ingredients to make.  Then we'd set out to produce some new treat.  I usually retreated to my room to read at some point in the day (still do), while my brother was the gamer of the family.

Now, I grade papers, plan lessons, write tests, do laundry, and--still--read on those snowy days.  Oh, and take pictures of my puppy.  What did you/do you/would you do if you had a snow day?

Hugs and love, 


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Eight days already? Wow! Where do you live?

I'm a teacher, too so for snow days I try to split my day in half...half productive, half not. :) It's so much more fun grading papers in front of the TV in sweats than at my desk!

Jenni said...

We've missed 8 days too. I've only got to enjoy 5 of them because I was a juror on a trial during the snow days in Decemenber. I was a bit upset that I was making my 12.50 and everyone else was in their pj's! Let's see, I stayed in pajamas for three days, read, cooked and ate too much! What is it about a snow day that makes me want to eat?? But, I was productive too. Since I was up, dressed, and almost ready to go to school 3 days during our last break, I stayed up and worked for 3-4 hours. I wish it was to get ahead, but it was to catch up. If only I weren't such the procrastinator!

A Wife and a Teacher said...

Hi, I found your blog tonight. It seems like we have a lot in common! I am a 5th grade teacher also and live in a very small town in Tennessee. We have missed 6 days this year. I have not done much this week!! I seem to do a lot of cooking and baking on my snow days. Hopefully our snow will melt more soon!!