Friday, April 29, 2011

The Third Time is NOT the Charm or Why I Almost Didn't Blog Today

Way back in January, I set a personal goal (not a resolution, mind you) to blog every single day of 2011.  I decided that it was going to be the best year ever.  And for quite some time, I believed that.

Then today happened.  I nearly broke my blogging streak.  I really don't know how to put this gently, so be forewarned.  Today, our baby's heart stopped beating.

Today was a bright, sun-shiny day.  A beautiful reminder that God is in control and also a welcome relief from the storms and floods of the past couple of weeks.  It was also the day of our 3rd ultrasound--the last one until I "graduated" to becoming a normal patient.  I arrived about 10 minutes early, signed in at the desk and took a seat.  I texted J to let him know that I was there and that I'd have them call him again when it was time to have a look.  After about 15-20 minutes of picture-taking, the tech said she had to make a phonecall.  (This is when I had a hunch that something was up.)  Apparently, no one answered the phone, so she left the room saying she'd be right back.  She returned a few moments later with the tech from my first u/s.  She said she needed a couple more pictures and then we'd be finished.  When she was done, she told me I could clean up, get dressed, and she'd send the pictures up for my doctor's appointment.  I didn't get to see the screen, didn't get any printouts, didn't even get a chance to call for J.  I knew this was not going to end well.

I texted J from the bathroom while I was getting dressed, and he met me at the doctor's office.  I barely dropped my appointment slip off, and they told me I could come on back.  Yep, I was definitely getting bad news.  Immediately, Dr. G came in and said that they couldn't find a heartbeat.  It's all over.  The troubling part is, the measurements were right on track in respect to the previous two u/s.  So it had to have happened today.  I am to call on Monday to schedule a D & C.  I keep thinking about what I could have done that caused it to happen.  J tells me I can't think like that, but I can't help it.  Was I fussing at that kid too much?  Did I get too angry?  Did I not eat right?  Was it the half a Co.ke I drank?  What?  What?  What did I do wrong?

We are completely devastated.  I know it could have been worse, and I've been trying to be thankful that we didn't find out "this way" or "that way."  But I hate that we had to find it out at all.  I am, however, glad that it didn't happen tomorrow and us go around thinking everything was great for the next 3 or 4 weeks until our next appointment.  (If there is a bright side, I guess that's it.  We hadn't made it "public" knowledge yet, so not too many people to untell.) 

So that's why, at 9:30 when J asked if I was ready for bed, I said, "Yes," knowing full well that I had not yet blogged today.  He asked me if I did, and I said I hadn't.  Then he asked me if I really wanted this to be the day that I broke my streak because he knew it was important to me.  I didn't want him to think that I didn't care.  I didn't want him to think that I would rather be pouring my soul out to people I've never met (for the most part...I know I have a couple of IRL friends who read) instead of being with him and attempting to comfort each other.  But he said that he didn't think that at all and didn't mind a bit.  He's so wonderful.  Everyone should be so lucky.

If you pray, please whisper our names.  I'm depending on God to get us through this.  Because no one else can.

Hugs and love,

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Angie, my heart is breaking for you. I am so sorry! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Unknown said...

Oh, Angie! I'm heartbroken for you. Praying for you to find peace and comfort at this incredibly difficult time. Thinking of you. I'm so so sorry!

Steph said...

I am so sorry. Of course I'll pray for strength for you. (((((HUGS))))) It's just not right!

Erin said...

DAMN. I'm so sorry Angie. It doesn't make sense. Everything was so picture perfect. It wasn't anything you did at all but I would push for some testing, especially some immunology/clotting disorder testing. My thoughts are with you. :(.

~*JaYmE*~ said...

I am so very sorry Angie. Sending you lots of prayers and gentle (((HUGS)))

Allison said...

Oh Angie, I'm so sorry. You didn't do anything wrong. My heart is with you. Prayers and hugs, too.

Tanya said...

Oh Angie, I am so incredibly sorry and sending lots of prayers to our Heavenly Father. I am feeling so sick reading your blog, I can't imagine the pain you are going through. I am sending many ((hugs)) your way.

Bird said...

....totally speechless. will they check again for the heartbeat before D&C?? Just not willing to believe this is how it ends.

Krista said...

No, Angie...please don't tell me this....I had no idea what I was going to read when I clicked on your blog today and I am completely devastated for you. I was so excited for you. I am so sorry and again, I am completely devastated.

LeslieGail said...

Angie I am so very sorry for your loss. No one deserves this. And don't for one minute think that you did ANYTHING to cause it. I know it's instinct to blame ourselves, but you did nothing wrong!

A Wife and a Teacher said...

I am so sorry. You did not do anything wrong. I am praying for you.

Kitty said...

Oh my friend, my heart is breaking for you. I'm so incredibly sorry. I'm thinking of you and praying for you and J. Please don't let those those thoughts sneak into your mind, NOTHING you did caused this.

E and R said...

I am so sorry. This isn't your fault. Praying for you.

Annabelle said...

I'm so very sorry. Please do not think you did anything to cause this. Unfortunately these things just happen, and it sucks! I'll be praying for you.

Kelly said...

Angie, I wish I had better words other than I'm sorry.

Praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm over here from Allison's blog and I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am, and also that nothing you did caused this. I wish there was more I could say.

Alex said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen, everything looked good, I was about to graduate from the RE, and the heartbeat stopped. It's terrible, it truly is. But somehow you move forward, and heal. It takes awhile, but you will heal. Sending you love today.

Miss Mac said...

I am so very sorry. This is not your fault. Praying that God is your strength and comfort through this.

Kristy said...

I'm new to your blog and as someone who can't have children and have also gone through some "hard times", please know that my thoughts are with you and in no way did anything you do or didn't do cause this!! I truly believe that everything is for a reason, good and bad... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa said...

I came by from Allison's blog. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hate that things like this happen.

Sarah said...

Angie, I am so sorry for your loss. You did absolutely nothing to cause this and you can't blame yourself.

SJ said...

I'm so sorry - I know what you are going through. I wish I had the magic words - you're in my thoughts.

Baby Hopes said...

Hi Angie - I found you through Krista's blog. I'm so very sorry. I cannot imagine the pain of your loss. Sending thoughts, love, and prayers of comfort your way.

Morgan Owens said...

I am so sorry Angie, my heart is broken for you along with many other people. It seems like you have a strong support group (inc. your husband) and you WILL get through this. There is nothing you did wrong either! My thoughts and prayers are with you!
(((HUGS)))

DandelionBreeze said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news... here from Krista's blog too... and wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you... be gentle on yourself. Love always xoxo

Nink said...

Angie, I read this blog last night and I couldn't figure out the words to say at that moment. I went to bed feeling numb, helpless, sad for you. I can't believe it! Nobody expects something like that to happen...let alone a couple who went through IVF to get to that point. No words, Angie. No words can describe how sorry I am for you. I was so looking forward to an update on you graduating from your RE yesterday. Your news was so not expected. I hugged my husband and told him all about how you are about a week ahead of me and explained how you've been such a support for me and that now, I feel like I can't offer that support back, because I've never experienced what you're going through right now. I can just tell you that I'm praying for you and I texted some praying friends to lift your names up. God has a bigger plan. A bigger purpose. A bigger story. I will pray for your healing every night.

Marissa said...

I am so, so very sorry for your loss. :(

*hugs*

Lora said...

I am so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. Sending you hugs and prayers.

Samantha said...

Angie, everyone has said it but I too am very very very sorry for your and J's loss. I pray that your heart will be able to heal and that you and your husband can hold each other close during this time.

clewis said...

So sorry for your lost. stay strong and take care.

^J^ said...

Truely sorry for your loss!
{{{Prayers & Hugs}}}

Cherbear said...

I came over from Krista's blog. I'm SO very sorry to hear what happened today :( Please don't blame yourself. It just happened, nothing that you did.

What an amazing supportive "J" you have there. HUGS!

Unknown said...

I've been exactly where you are right now. With my second shortlived pregnancy, I had a baby that looked perfect on ultrasound on 8 weeeks. At 8 weeks 5 days, the consecutive ultrasound, I found out her heart had just stopped. I remember feeling so happy because I noticed immediately that she had grown from the last u/s, then the feeling of disbelief two seconds later because I noticed the heartbeat was missing.

Two days before she died, I was playing boardgames with friends. For some reason I had an insane rush of adrenalin, followed by crazy cramping. I was so afraid that I had done something to cause my baby to die. A ridiculous thought. 2 weeks later, I found out my baby had Turners syndrome- she had an X chromosome missing and was doomed from the second of conception. It was not my fault, and it is not yours.

My heart is breaking for you.

A Shadow of My Former Self said...

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I have been in this place too and it's devastating. I wish you both strength and peace.

arohanui said...

Hi Angie, I followed Jay to your blog and I am so very sorry to read about your devastating loss. There is nothing that anyone can say to ease your pain, but I am pleased you have a wonderful partner to help support you through this. There is absolutely nothing you could have done to cause this, it is not your fault. Big hugs to you xx

Anonymous said...

I am here from Krista's blog, and I'm glad I did stop by to give you a hug. You will be in my prayers. You are not alone. We are all here to listen (well I mean read). I know what you are going through, and it is a dark place to be. Mourn and grieve and give yourself space. Really sorry...
Tee xo

Jacksmom said...

This is not what I'd wanted or expected to read! I'm so so sorry Angie! No one would blame you if you took a break from blogging either. (((hugs)))

Chon said...

I am over from Krista's blog. I am so sorry. You need an extra big hug of love and support. xxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry and wish there was something I could say to take the pain away. Prayers of strength to you and your husband during this unimaginable time.

Kathleen said...

I'm over from a Krista's blog. I'm so so very sorry for your loss. I wish there was something I could say to make it better, but I can't. Hold on to your husband and take all the time in the world you need to take to grieve.

Nic said...

I am here from Krista's blog.
I am so sorry for your loss.

Julie said...

Oh, Angie... I'm so sorry I missed this post. I can't believe it. It just feels so horribly unfair. I hope you're taking things easy and really giving yourself time to rest and just tune the world out when you need to. I'll be praying for you.

~C~ said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so unfair.

Brave IVF Girl said...

Oh, Angie, I just got back from my weekend away and started going through my Google Reader. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been there, exactly, with my first missed miscarriage. It sucks, and you did nothing to cause it., it's just a horrible thing that happened. We're here for you.

*hugs*

Sarah said...

I am so sorry for you loss.

I will say a little prayer for you!!

Lots of Cyber hugs!!

Anonymous said...

What an incredibly strong woman you are. You are an amazing role model for anyone dealing with such a horrible loss. Thank you.

Whitney Anderson said...

I'm so sorry. After having 4 miscarriages, I know how awful it is. I'm so, so sorry.

Sari Jane said...

My heart aches for you, know that Gods does too. I am praying for the wonderful peace of God to surround you.

Kelly L said...

I am so very sorry for your loss :(

Suzanna said...

I can't imagine thinking up anything positive on a day like that. But I'm happy that you were able to. I shall keep you in my prayers.