Today was a big day! Yesterday, I posted about worrying because I'm not feeling much in the way of symptoms. J thinks I shouldn't have because I had a pretty miserable morning. I was not in bad shape when I left home, but about halfway to school I developed this terrible pain in my lower back. It wasn't a cramp, and it didn't come in waves--it was constant. I broke out into a cold sweat, and seriously considered pulling over. I didn't (and I really don't know what I'd have done to make the situation better if I had), and I made it to school. But I just knew I was going to throw up or something before I got there (I didn't). I sat in my car for a few minutes, blasting the air, leaning my seat back...anything to try and get comfortable. I had taken a half day anyway to go to the doctor and my ultrasound this afternoon. I was beginning to wonder if I'd need that sub for the whole day!
Finally, I decided that nothing I was doing was really helping, so I went on inside. I didn't have any trouble walking or standing upright, so that was good (says Dr. Angie). My friend Jessica was coming in as I was walking down the hall. She said good morning and asked how I was doing today. I told her that I really didn't know. She asked what was wrong and I told her. She suggested that I try to find out who my sub was and see if they'd come on in. I checked the computer--I'd done this earlier in the week, but couldn't remember who my sub was supposed to be--and found that the sub had cancelled and my absence was left "unfilled." I panicked. I didn't really know what to do. I went to the office shortly before the bell rang to let students in and asked the secretary what I should do. She said not to worry about it, that they would either fill the opening or find somebody to cover my class. I had done everything I was supposed to. She also told me that the woman canceled at 5 something this morning. Grr.
I must have looked bad because she and the counselor both asked me if I was okay. I explained what was going on, and they diagnosed it as a kidney-related illness. I warned my kids that I wasn't feeling well and would probably be less patient with them than normal, but it didn't seem to help. They weren't any better for me than usual. A couple of hours later, the pain just went away. I was glad to be feeling better, but puzzled about what was causing it. I definitely planned to ask Dr. G about it at my appointment.
The ultrasound went well. J even took a few seconds of video on my phone (shh...). You can't tell much, but you can see that precious little flicker. We're still measuring a bit behind, but it's dead on with our measurements from Friday, so I'm thinking that means all is okay. (That's what everybody said, anyway.) Dr. G did not officially move my EDD, but I'm thinking he probably will at next week's appointment to December 5. Heart rate was 167 (last week was 130). J's first prediction is that it is a girl. (Apparently he's read about girls having higher heart rates...I don't know if that's accurate yet.) I have new pictures, but I am having a fight with the scanner. Maybe later I can update this post and include one. Next appointment is next Friday at 3:00. They'll do all of my "official first prenatal appointment" stuff then, and it'll likely be my last ultrasound for a while (if everything is still looking good).
As for the back pain, when I brought it up, Dr. G had me turn around and show him exactly where it hurt. When I did, he said it was the point where ligaments join the pelvis and other bones. I later read online that it is perhaps the result of softening of the supporting ligaments and disks due to the elevation of progesterone. He said that it's a common problem and can last throughout the pregnancy, I just happened to develop it early on. I told him I could deal with it as long as I knew it didn't mean anything was wrong.
In other news, I bought Jax a new toy box at Tar.get while I was out. It's a good thing, too, because his looked like this when I got home:
Of course, it still had toys in it at the time, but I had already transferred them to his new toy box before I thought to take a picture. At least he doesn't bother our good stuff. Here's his new toy box:
Sorry, it's a little blurry. It doesn't match the decor of our family room as well as the basket, but I think it's a little less likely to end up in shreds!
Hugs and love,
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









4 comments:
Sorry to hear about the terrible backache, Angie. But glad the doc knew what was causing it! Yay on having such an awesome ultrasound!!!
Coolness for a good u/s, but sorry about the pain!
Also, on the heartrate theory - my little one's heartrate was well into the 170's for my first couple of ultrasounds (176 and 171, I believe). But he is decidedly a boy. ;) So you never know!!
What a crazy day! Bet you're glad it's over.
I love hearing about Jax, it makes me feel like my obsession with my furry babies isn't so crazy after all. Though... mine are about to get their own bedroom... lol
Craziness! Glad you know what that pain is though and can relax about it. Hang in there. Gave you a blog award, so stop by and pick it up!
Post a Comment