On Wednesday, I opened the "floor" for questions from my dear readers. Here are the questions I received and their responses.
How/when did you meet your husband?
I blogged a bit about this here, but the short version of the story is we were introduced by a mutual friend in October 2005. We met at Chuck E. Cheese's (click on the link for the story about why). I remember telling a coworker at the time that I was nervous it would work out. I said, "What if this works out? I'm going to have to tell our children that I met their father at Chuck E. Cheese's!" But, alas, here we are. We've been inseparable ever since. He'd probably like to ditch me every once in a while, but he's stuck with me!
How long have you been a teacher and what prompted you to do so?
You'd think this question had a simple answer, but it doesn't really. I graduated from college in December 2001, and started teaching in January 2002. So, at Christmas this year, I will have 10 years in. Wow! It's hard to believe. I think I really always knew I wanted to be a teacher. My mom was a teacher, so I grew around it. Even though I toyed with the idea of other careers my whole life, education was always my choice in between other "careers." Early on, I just liked the tools--ink pens, staplers, a grade book, paper clips...you name it, I loved it. I played school with my dolls, in true little girl fashion. I even brought home papers from the extras pile in my classroom when my teachers would let me. Then, I'd label them with the fake names of my "students," complete them in pencil, and grade them in red ink. Sometimes I'd even take spelling tests for them so I could grade them.
Late in high school, though, I was adamant about following my ultimate dream (to perform on Broadway). I had every intention of majoring in theater and moving to New York after graduating. Even so, I began with a major in Elementary Education...fully intending to change it after the first year of general ed requirements. But after the first course in the theater department my very first semester (which, incidentally, fulfilled a gen ed requirement, so it wasn't a waste), I decided that I didn't really fit in with this crowd and stuck with my original major.
Now, I'm glad I did. I still act whenever possible (community theater), and I have to entertain fifth graders every single day. But my passion lies with helping children find that "a-ha" moment.
If you could live in any country in the world, where would you live?Gosh, this one's tough...since I've only been to one other country. So, given what I know about the world, I guess I'd choose Italy (provided I knew how to speak Italian). I love the food, and it's one of the top-ranked places to live.
What's your favorite candy bar?
Without a doubt, my favorite is "Whatchamacallit." It has a little bit of all my favorite things--caramel, peanut butter, chocolate...just can't go wrong!
Who is your hero? Why?
This one's a toughie, too. There have been several points in my life where I could have answered this question without even thinking about it. Jesus, Abraham Lincoln, Sally Ride, Pamela White...but right now, I think my answer would have to be anyone who has ever fought IF and survived. Regardless of your method of "fighting" -- ART procedures, adoption, OPKs and temping, or just the good old-fashioned "trying," you are my heroes. You've proven time and time again that you'd go to Hell and back for your children, and, having seen a lot of parents who didn't apparently give two cents about their children, it makes you a hero in my book. I know what you've gone through (for the most part), and I know the struggles you've faced and the amazing strength you've shown. We're there for each other when the world can't understand.
This was fun. Thanks for giving me some great questions to think about. Now, I have some Spanish lessons to plan!
Happy Sunday, all.
Hugs and love,
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Aw man...i wish you were my kids teacher. That passion cannot be fabricated. I need to go find the post with the Chuck E Cheese story!! lol that's going to be a great story to tell your kids!!
Thanks for answering my question! =) I think we all live for that "a-ha" moment and it is always the best feeling when it happens!
Post a Comment