As we were playing outside with Jax at my grandmother's house today, I paused to take the following picture:
It's my grandmother's "new" empty garage. No, the garage isn't new, but it is newly empty. You may recall that she broker her hip back in June. She spent the next two months recovering in the rehab unit at the hospital and then at my parents' house. She was able to go home last week. But we were able to convince her that she really didn't need to be driving anymore. So, my dad sold her car. This was the first time I'd seen her empty garage.
You might look at it and see an old-fashioned, makeshift house for a car, but I see lots of memories. I learned to drive on her farm, so I spent a lot of time in my early-mid teenage years backing and pulling in and out of that garage. My cousins flipped the swing that's in the very back, and I remember sitting in the car inside the garage listening to the ping-ping of raindrops on the roof as we waited out a storm after returning to Nana's house.
It kind of makes me sad to think that it will never again be filled with a car. I know it means that my grandmother is getting older. Nana always wanted me to write a book about all those Sunday afternoons our little family spent together. Maybe...just maybe...I'll attempt it. It might not be the makings of a NY Times Bestseller, but it could make for some interesting blog posts.
Hugs and love,
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comments:
What wonderful memories you must have of that little building. ANd how sad that era is over. I can relate.
I remember being with my grandfather when he sold his beloved Mercedes because he couldn't drive anymore. It was the last car he owned and his favorite. He bought it the year I was born and sold it when I turned 14. He had given me (and all the grandchildren) driving lessons in it. It was a sad day. But, all of us grandchildren still remember our special driving lessons.
Post a Comment