¿Hablas español?
Yeah, me neither...but today, I found myself teaching it unexpectedly. Sure, I was warned--a week ago. But as of Friday, no one could tell me when the classes would start. I tried to get myself prepared, but was still quite surprised to learn this morning that they would start today. Like two hours after finding out. So, what did I do?
I improvised! (Which I'm famous for, by the way.) I let the kids tell me what they expected to learn, then we watched some segments from a video I bought to help with the class, just to give them an idea of some of the things we'll be learning about. Funny thing...most of them just wanted to know each other's names. I had to explain to them that while some names translate across languges (especally biblical names), most do not. They seemed kind of disappointed. The other Spanish teacher and I are contemplating taking them to a local Mexican restaurant as a culminating activity. We'll see how it goes...now I've got to go make some plans for tomorrow. Plus, I hear 3 sets of social studies papers callign my name, just dying to be graded.
And so it begins...
Hugs and love,
Monday, August 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comments:
I would not know where to begin teaching Spanish!!! I know very little and understand even less. We have enrichment classes at my school and the spanish class goes and has mexican at the end each time. The restaurant they go to is owned by one of our students parents, he gets lots of laughs talking with the students or I guess I should say trying to talk with them!!
Post a Comment