Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Then and Now

Gee, with a title like that, you're probably expecting some deep account of the resulting emotions of some trial or tribulation...not so, my friends.  Instead, I'm going to share a conversation I overheard this afternoon at the bookshelf (it's the new watercooler, ya know).    Now, keep in mind that I teach 5th graders--typically 10 and 11 year olds.  It's been 20 years since I was an 11 year old, which means it's been 21 years since I was in the fifth grade myself.  Here's what I imagine a typical conversation among acquaintances was like then:

Me: Hey, did you see Full House last week?  It was awesome!
Friend: Yeah, it's my favorite show.
Me: Mine, too!  My little brother has a crush on Michelle.  That's even what he calls the show...Michelle.
Friend: That's too funny.  What does he call Family Matters?  Steve Urkel?
Me: As a matter of fact, he does!  The whole family calls them that, and we all know what we're talking about!

Boring, by today's standards, I guess...but that's what was going on at the time.  Here's what I heard today:

Girl: So your sister sent me a message on Fa.ce.bo.ok, I don't know, like 2 or 3 weeks before school started and said that I should go out with you.  She said, "You'll never regret going out with L...."

Boy: Yeah, my sister is stupid.  I was already in a relationship when she even sent that message.  I don't know what she was thinking.

Girl: Yeah, I figured.  I knew you were serious with M.... at the end of school.  I just blew it off.  Tell her I wasn' ignoring her really, just the message.


Oh, my goodness!  Kids are too "grown up" for their own good!  Boy, oh, boy.  I've got my work cut out for me!

4 comments:

A Wife and a Teacher said...

It's scary some of the things I hear my students talking about. I had a girl 2 years ago telling the other girls she thought she was pregnant. I flipped out!!!! Thank goodness she was not, nor could she have been. She was trying to be "cool" she said.

A Wife and a Teacher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

In a "relationship" at that age?? Good lord!

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

This scares me. I feel bad that they don't get to enjoy full house!