Monday, August 1, 2011

Optimism and a Surprise

I have decided that this is going to be a good school year, all the way around.  I know this is so because I have a Faith, 2 Destinys, and 2 Elijahs (he was a prophet, ya know) in my class this year.  J told me the other night that this class will remember me forever.  When I asked him why, he said, "Because they'll always remember that they had Mrs. Angie in the 5th grade--the year she was pregnant

Now for the surprise...remember that all surprises aren't necessarily good ones.  I can't decide which one this is.  We have organized the fifth grade a little differently this year.  We are departmentalized, so I am teaching social studies for a block of two class periods to each of three different homerooms.  That leaves one class period for planning and one for enrichment/intervention classes.  Until today, it was my understanding that I would be teaching a reading intervention class due to my master's degree in literacy.  Around 10:00 this morning, the principal visited my classroom.  He'd already dropped by to say hello to the kids, but this time it was me he was looking for.  Here's how our conversation went:

McR: Would you be willing to teach Spanish?
Me (picking chin up off floor): Um, I guess...
McR: More kids have signed up for it than the other teacher can accomodate.  I can arrange it so you could teach an additional section and not have to teach reading intervention.  If you're willing.
Me: Sure.  I guess.  It's been a while, though.
McR: It won't matter.  You'll be fine.
Me: Okay.

Then he left.  So, now I guess I'll also be teaching Spanish to 5th and 6th graders.  It's been 10 years since my last Spanish class.  I guess I have homework to do!

5 comments:

Miss Mac said...

Bueno suerte! That sounds like a good schedule. I always liked being departmentalized. More to grade and keep up with, but the kids seemed to behave better or maybe it made me a better teacher because I knew they would move on and another group was coming, lol. I also liked one lesson plan that could be improved through the day... I always thought the last class had the benefit of a better lesson but it seemed like they always got the fire drills, assemblies, etc. so it "evened out." Hope this is a great school year and your hubby is right! :]

M said...

Woah! What a thing to take on... Good for you! I have great hopes for this year for you Angie. And I just wanted you to know I have been reading all of your posts! I'm just not a frequent commented ;) Take care girl!

M said...

CommentER ;)

A Wife and a Teacher said...

Good luck!! We have lots of changes at our school too this year. I am teaching social studies to 3 classes and reading/language to my homeroom only. I have never taught social studies so I am pretty nervous.

Jessica Anne said...

Thats awesome that you guys have Spanish at your school!! I teach elementary Spanish and it really is pretty fun! Good Luck! =)