Wednesday, October 19, 2011

More Hurdles

I think there were some major communcation issues this afternoon between me and the RE's office.  When I checked my phone right after school was out, I noticed I had a voicemail.  Not uncommon--we get poor cell reception in the building, and we aren't supposed to use our phones much anyway (only for an emergency).  So, even during my planning time it's not uncommon to miss a call and later have a voicemail.  I dialed it to see if it was a "real person" or an automated message from a previous owner of my number about a bill they hadn't paid.  (Incidentally, my cell number used to be my SIL's...but that's another post for another day.)  To my surprise, it was from the RE's office and it went something like this:

"Hi, Angie.  This is Kelley from Dr. W's office.  I was just calling to let you know that Dr. W has been going through your chart thoroughly and she has some new suggestions for you.  First of all, some of the bloodwork she would normally rn was not included in your panel so she would like for you to have that done, as well as a new TSH test--the most recent one she found on file was from 2010--and a dye test of the uterine cavity.  I'd be happy to talk with you more about this if you want to give me a call."

I got this message at around 3:00.  By 3:30, I was home and after taking Jax out I called the office.  After listening to all of the choices, I finally hit "0" for an operator since none of the other choices fit my situation.  When she asked how she could help me, I told her I was returning a call from Kelley at Dr. W's office.  "Are you an IVF patient?" she asked.  "Yes," I told her.  Technically, I guessed I still was.  After putting me on hold for a few seconds, she came back on the line and told me that Kelley wasn't at her desk but that she would have her call me--only after making sure that Kelley had contacted me first.  I said okay and hung up, not expecting anybody to get back with me today since it was nearing 4:00 by then.

To my surprise, a little while later, Kelli (note the different spelling) my IVF nurse called.  She started talking to me about stuff that was completely unrelated to the message I got and I instantly knew that there were some crossed-wires here.  After a quick search, I found that there is a clinic nurse at the office whose name is Kelley...and then there's my IVF nurse, Kelli.  Hence the confusion.  Anyway, I asked Kelli about some of the stuff on my message and she said she was working on getting the coding for my labwork.  Another phonecall later, she was emailing me a list of tests I needed to complete.  Fun, fun, fun.  More bloodwork--my favorite pasttime. 

So, I don't know if there's other stuff I need to do right now or not.  I don't even know how to return a stinking phonecall, apparently.  I think I'll email Kelli tomorrow and let her know about the confusion.  *Sigh*  More hurdles to jump, and I don't even know what they all are.

In the meantime, the list of tests she emailed to me included a diagnosis code for the lab to put in (I assume for insurance purposes).  I'm officially a 629.81.  Translation? Habitual abortion.  (Yeah, I go.ogled it.  Evil, evil, evil.)  You'd think they could come up with a nicer way to put it.  Sounds so cheap and dirty.  Let's give it a realistic name.  Something like "Mourning Mother" or something.   Why do we have to be politically correct to everybody but the infertiles?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confusion! I am so sorry that you were getting different information from different people. I can't imagine how frustrating that was. I hope everything is cleared up soon and your test results come back perfectly wonderful!

Steph said...

You'd think they could identify themselves by department. Just on the slim chance that they have a common name & there could be confusion. 8^/

I don't like that code either. It's actually kinda offensive to anyone who's had unwanted m/c's. I don't like "spontanious abortion" either. It sounds like one's body decided on a whim not to do what it's supposed to.

Hope the b/w goes well!