Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Is it worth the hassle?
Has anybody out there reading this used a numbing cream before IM injections? If so, do you recommend it? I've asked my nurse about getting a prescription, but haven't heard back from her yet. I just wondered if it was really worth the trouble. I am not digging all these shots, though, and it's only going to get worse. I can handle it, but why hurt when you don't have to?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









7 comments:
If it is what I think it is....it is called 'TAC'. You have to hold it on the area for about 10 minutes before you give the injections. Not worth it to me, but maybe to you? They might have something better, but nothing I know of.
There is also a spray that 'freezes' the area instantly. But I personally think that burns all by itself!
Good luck!
--Lynn
i had 2 IM shots this round. they were truly a piece of cake! so much easier than i thought. you may not need the cream.
IM shots we never bothered to use the numbing wipes (I got alcohol wipes with benzocaine) - I used them for tummy shots for my first few rounds of IVF but can't find the wipes any longer, and it's just not a big deal.
We use progesterone in ethyl oleate, so are allowed to ice beforehand (they don't recommend icing for progesterone in oil cuz it thickens it up). That works great for me.
See if you can find the alcohol wipes with benzocaine - I got mine at CVS and Walgreens.
Good luck!
The tummy shots were tolerable but I had a routine to get through the PIO. Ice pack on the backside for 4-5 minutes, warm the PIO in a heating pad... only for a few seconds because got it too hot once and that was awful... then used massage and heating pad after the injection. Only other way that helped getting through those shots was counting down to the last one! Good luck!
I worked for a dr office and had patients say it wasn't worth it. It numbs the skin only - nothing deeper than that. It may work better for you...
In my opinion, for what it is worth, I think that the pain is more the medication sitting in the muscle. I would try and rub it vigorously after the injection to help the drug spread into the muscle and not just sit there and form a lump.
Good luck!
Also a vote for "Not Worth It". The cream is great for IVs, and sticking shallow veins for blood draws, but doesn't numb deep enough to help with IM injections. I didn't use PIO, but it seems that everyone develops their own routine to help with the stick. I hope you find a way to ease the hurt!
Just wanted to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I am praying for you.
Post a Comment