Thursday, November 10, 2011

First shot done!

This morning started the "real stuff."  I've been psyching myself up for the injections for weeks--well, since I knew for sure we were starting this cycle.  I was determined to do this round myself...since J HAS to do the other two types for me (they're IM). 

Last night, I scrubbed down the vanity so I'd have a nice clean place to work.  I gathered all of my supplies and left them there overnight. 


All that was left was to grab the vial from the fridge and prepare the syringe this morning.  I did that right after I got out of the shower so I could get it to room temperature before injecting.  Finally, the moment arrived.  (I chose to do the injection around 6:30 so I wouldn't have to get up super early on the weekends.)  I pinched up my skin, took a deep breath and...J gave me the shot.  It didn't hurt much.  Here's how it went down.

Just as I was waving my hand over my belly to dry the alcohol, J came into the room.  He asked me what I was doing.  I told him I needed to try this for myself.

"Why?"  he asked.  "So you can be upset with yourself if you can't do it?  Why don't you let me do this for you and in a few days when you see that it doesn't hurt if you still want to try it, you can."

So, I let him do it.  He says it's the least he can do.  (I think he's just remembering the meltdown I had last night after church.  Don't know what my problem was--just couldn't stop the tears.)  Anyway, I am glad to have the first one overwith.  We'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks, everybody, for the tips and advice.  I haven't used ice yet, but we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Hugs and love,

2 comments:

Sunflower said...

Glad to hear that it went well. And sweet of J to have helped out.
I was amused to see the photo of your "set up" -- its identical to how I used to do mine -- on a white paper towel with the sharps container on the right hand side. Your syringe looks exactly like the one I used too :-)

MaryMargaret said...

I'm glad that it wasn't terrible! Sounds like you guys have a great routine already!