Thursday, June 16, 2011

"You look awfully happy..."

That's what I was told today.  I was at a meeting of approximately 45-ahem-older ladies from my tiny county.  At the lunch break, one of them told me, "You look awfully happy.  Do you have any news to share?"  I think she was thinking maybe I needed to tell her I was expecting.  I just laughed it off and said, "No, no news from me.  Sorry."  What I wanted to say was Yeah, I've had news to share.  Twice.  I just didn't make it far enough to tell it.   But I knew she meant well, and I wouldn't have hurt her feelings for the world. 

Then, I felt guilty.  Guilty that I gave the impression of being a happy, happy soul.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not exactly unhappy with my life, but I don't want the people who knew about our situation to think I have forgotten or taken lightly what I have lost.  I know that life must go on, and good things are waiting for me around the corner.  I just don't quite feel right acting like everything is hunky-dory when my body hasn't gotten rid of all the evidence yet.  Does that make sense?  Probably not. 

I have to just keep in my head that while the stumbling blocks along my journey have made me who I am, but they are not the only things that define my character.  As the guest speaker at our meeting today said, there are a lot of things about my life over which I have no control.  The only thing I can manage is my attitude.  So, I'll take that lady's comment as a compliment.  Maybe I'm giving off a good attitude toward my tribulations. 

*Sigh*  It's getting too deep in here.  I'm gonna go take a short nap before it's time to fix dinner. 

Hugs and love,

2 comments:

Allison said...

Yes, I think that's a compliment - bad stuff happens, but you're not allowing it to define you. You deal with it as it comes. And that shows your incredible strength and character - and faith.

Your awesome attitude shines through your written words, too.

((Hugs))

Suzanna said...

Controling one's attitude can be sooo very hard! I think you have such a wonderful attitude. You being positive helps keep me postive, and I'm sure I'm not the only one you have that affect on.