Saturday, April 10, 2010

Super Saturday Review

Since I could decipher words, I have always been an avid reader. I'd read anything I could find--cereal boxes, movie blurbs, the placemat at Piz.za Hu.t--you name it, I read it. Of course, my favorite thing to read was books. Growing up, I read every single book in the Babysi.tters Club series. When I got a bit older, I fell in love with the classics. I loved Poe, Dickens, Bronte, and most other authors' works I could get my hands on. I read the Greek drama Antigone and Arth.ur Mil.ler's The Crucible in the 8th grade for fun. (Yeah, I'm a dork.) Nevertheless, after all that *fun* reading I did in college, I decided that it was time my once favorite pasttime became fun again.

Thus, I discovered the world of chiclit. More specifically, the novels of Sop.hie Kins.ella. It began with Can You Keep a Secret and quickly blossomed to included the Shop.aholic series. (Be forewarned...a couple of those books include mention/birth of b-a-b-i-e-s.) There are a few more, and they are all fabulously funny. Most recently, I read Twen.ties Gi.rl.

This book has proven to be just as amusing as the others. I won't spoil it in case you decide to read it, but here's a brief synopsis. A young woman is haunted by the ghost of her 105-year-old great-aunt, who insists she help her locate her most prized possession--a necklace. No one can see great-aunt Sadie except Lara, but Sadie can influence people's thoughts by "screaming" into their ears. She leads Lara on quite an adventure in search of this necklace, taking control of her wardrobe a few times, and attempts to live vicariously through Lara (on a date with a gentleman Sadie picked out) until it's time to "go."

There is a bit of language in all of these books that I could do without, but if you can look past that, these are very fun reads. If nothing else, I was able to escape for a few hours and let my brain have some fun.

Hope your Saturday is Super!

Hugs and baby dust,

0 comments: