A couple of weeks ago, I received a bill from the hospital for some labwork they ran when I had my d&c. It was no big deal--I was expecting it. In fact, I'd already paid it by the time I received it in the mail because I'd gotten an email earlier with the same information. However, I was speechless when I read an advertisement in the margin of the paper copy of the bill. I even commented with an, "Oh, my gosh! I can't believe they did that!" J asked what I was talking about, and so I explained what I was reading (first of all). Then I read him the advertisement. He agreed that it was not very sensitive. There, printed in the margins of my bill, it said:
"Are you expecting a baby or know someone who is?
The Medical Center offers a variety of classes for all
members of the family to prepare for the birth of a baby..."
And it went on and on about the wide variety of classes offered by the hospital. I understand that this was the billing system for the hospital, but given the nature of my particular bill, I found it pretty upsetting. Completely insensitive to my situation. Not acceptable. I've drafted a letter to send in response, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to include backup remarks. I hate it, but things like this just make my blood boil.
6 comments:
I don't know what to say. I am sorry for your loss.
My only thoughts are riddled with expletives; I'm sure your response is way more eloquent than that.
But here's a great big GRRRRRRRRRR on your behalf! WTH, Hospital??????????
That's ridiculous. I'd be angry too!
Oh my goodness. No wonder you are upset. Other than letting them know how insensitive and unacceptable this is from a medical facility I don't know what I would say that would be appropriate to actually send. Best of luck with the letter. Sorry you are having to deal with that on top of everything!!
Wow! How insensitive. I would include a few lines about how a hospital so dedicated to the well being of their patients (aren't they all) should be more aware of the potential emotional harm that sort of advertisement can cause.
Ughhhh.
It doesn't surprise me. While I was waiting to register for my D&C I was surrounded by the newborns and new mothers to get their 3 day blood work done. That was pure HELL.
HUGS
Post a Comment