Dear Sir or Madam,
Before I begin, please know that I am not writing as a disgruntled patient who does not want to pay her bill. In addition, I am not directing any anger toward you, the reader, personally as I realize you are likely not the person at fault. There is, however, a small matter that I found troubling when I received my billing statement and I would like to bring to your attention. Please allow me to explain.
After years of struggling to start a family, my husband and I experienced a very early loss last December and a second miscarriage in May. The second required a d & c procedure. In the days and weeks that followed, we began to heal both physically and emotionally. We knew we would have some resulting expenses, and we were prepared for that. So, when I received a bill a couple of weeks ago, it had actually already been paid since I had received an email notification. However, I was in utter shock at an advertisement for a service provided by the hospital that was printed on the bill. It said, “Are you pregnant or do you know someone who is pregnant?” Then it went on to advertise some of the prenatal classes offered by the [Hospital]. I realize that those in charge of billing were merely doing their job and are not at fault here, but I do think it was rather insensitive given the reason I was being billed in the first place. I am not looking for an apology, but I would simply like to suggest that someone be aware that some people may actually find such advertisements heartbreaking. Any hospital so dedicated to the well being of their patients should be more aware of the potential emotional harm such an advertisement can cause. In a day and time where we walk on eggshells to avoid being politically incorrect or upsetting anyone’s applecart, I’d think somebody might be willing to just find out if such an advertisement might be insensitive before mailing it to a grieving parent.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Angie H









6 comments:
I think you put this perfectly. Kindly and firmly and without a hint of bitchiness. Perfect. They should know better..
*sniff* That's perfect, Angie. It's poignant - and not mean at all.
i have been blog stalking for quite some time and had to respond to this! I think it is one of the most well written things i have seen. The last thing you need when you are paying for something so heartbreaking is that kind of "pitch".
hugs to you.
I think this is perfect - you let them know that it was upsetting without being rude. Well done!
Well said!
Great job, Angie!
Post a Comment