Friday, July 23, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

Fab 5 Friday...Entertainment Edition!  It's that time of the week again--time for a rundown of five of my all-time favorite things.  If you're new here, you should know that I like themes.  Sometimes, my posts are very random, but when I can come up with the right stuff, I choose a theme for my posts.  So, today I will share five of my favorite forms of entertainment.  They are in no particular order.

#5 -- Broadway musicals/stage plays

Whether I'm in the audience or on stage myself, theater is definitely among the top of my list of entertainment favorites.  Acting is one of my favorite forms of stress relief.  (Ironically, while in the production phase, it's also at the top of my list of stress inducers...) 

#4 -- Music

I'm open to most types of music (there are a few exceptions--for example, I don't  listen fast enough for Rap, and I don't like it when artists just "scream" at me through their lyrics).  When I was young, my parents didn't listen to much other than country.  Imagine my surprise when I turned 16, learned to drive, and found that there ARE other radio stations!  Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration.  (I was a child of the 80's, so I was quite familiar with The New Ki.ds on the Bl.ock...)  Seriously, though, when I got married I think I inherited the largest selection of music I could imagine (DH used to work on radio).  When I put my I.po.d on shuffle, you just might hear anything from Sin.atra to Nicke.lback to Pache.lbel's Canon.  Yes, my taste is quite eclectic.

#3 -- Movies

Like many women, my favorites are romantic comedies.  But I also like a good drama, and sign me up for a great action film!  Having seen the movie countless times (every Saturday for a couple of years during high school) and performed in the stage version twice, Ste.el Mag.nolias is one of my all-time favorites.  DH doesn't understand why I like to watch things over and over and over, but I don't think you can have a "favorite" anything if you can't quote most of it! 

#2 -- Books

I've always loved to read...well, I suppose not always.  After all, I didn't even learn how completely until the first grade.  But growing up, it was pretty rare to find me without a book in my hands.  My aunt used to complain that I brought one with me on Sundays to my grandmother's house or on vacation with us and I couldn't even "socialize" for having my nose stuck in a book. (I wish I could snatch a few of those precious moments back now.)  And my parents used to punish me for doing something by sending me to my room and telling me not to read.  Hmph.  Anywho, after all the heavy reading of college and grad school, I'm currently very much into chick-lit.  It's a nice distraction from all my empty-womb worries, but you have to be careful--every once in a while they'll sneak baby-talk in there.

#1 -- Reality  TV

What is the deal here?  I just can't stop myself!  I don't know if it's the whole "unscripted" thing that I find so appealing about reality television, but I just can't get enough!  In particular, I love Bi.g Bro.ther and The Am.azing Ra.ce.  I REALLY liked The Mo.le, but it doesn't come on anymore. 

So, what keeps you entertained? 

Happy Friday everyone!  Yay!  The weekend is here!  I'd better enjoy it.  It's my last before school starts.  Here's to a new group of 5th graders!

Hugs and baby dust,

9 comments:

April said...

I'm a fellow theater geek. I also listen to almost anything, love to read, and am addicted to The Amazing Race. I can't wait until it comes back this fall!

ICLW

jill's infertility document said...

Hi Angie, thanks for your comment on my blog! Its exciting to meet new people during ICLW.

Reality TV is one of my dirty secrets. One of my BFN rituals is to binge on Bravo marathons--super trashy all the way!

Toni said...

Love musicals. Certainly not an actress nor a singer myself, but there is something about seeing a musical that just lights me up from inside. I'm also a huge reader and have enjoyed some reality TV myself, like the Amazing Race...and Road Rules/Real World Challenge anyone? But what I really love is dancing. Not well. But dancing nonetheless.

Happy ICLW!

Heather said...

Happy ICLW from a fellow reader. I don't know where I'd be without books! And I love Canon in D Major too...

Jackie said...

Sounds like we have similar taste in music. When people ask me what I like, I say "a little bit of everything...except rap and screaming." Wish I could borrow your ipod for a day! lol.
Happy ICLW!

Krissi said...

Hi Angie! I LOVE reality tv too but it seems I love blogging and writing too lately to "escape" and entertain myself! I am noticing alot of teachers getting ready to start soon. Thankfully I won't have to go back until September! Happy ICLW! (#45 & 46)

Liddy said...

I love Broadway musicals. Plus we have very similar tastes in music.

An ICLW Visit from #107 (mfi, speedskating, strength)
liddy @ the unfair struggle

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

How fun! Knitting keeps me entertained.

~Happy ICLW~

Ashlee G. said...

I love love love the amazing race!! I was not happy with the last 2 winners though.

Happy ICLW!
#50