Friday, February 18, 2011

Where I'm From

For several years, I had my students write a poem patterned after an excerpt from a George Ella Lyons book called Where I'm From.  Of course, the avid writer, I always drafted a poem in front of them as an example.  For some, it helps to see the process.  Others, however, get often get intimidated when their work does not turn out as long as mine.  (Why is it kids are so caught up with their work being long enough?  That's one of my least favorite school related questions.  Is this long enough?  or How long does this have to be?  There is no correct answer!  It has to be long enough to say what needs to be said.)  Anywho, I haven't been able to do this particular project the past couple of years, and I miss it!  You'd think I'd run out of ideas to include, but I have about 5 "Where I'm from" poems and they are all VERY different.  Here's one I came across while cleaning out some files on my computer.  I think I wrote this one in 2006.

Where I’m From


I am from lemonade stands,
From Kool-Aid and Rice Krispies’ Treats
homemade, not from the store
I am from the make-shift “beauty parlor” under the maple tree,
pink clip-on earrings
and potato chips in the red can.
I am from eating on China on Christmas Day
and paper plates the rest of the year
From homemade ice cream the whole family helped crank
Make mine peppermint
I am from the directionally-challenged
(though I fought to overcome it)
from “Go to your room—and don’t read!”
and “I’m going to give you something to cry about…”
I’m from performing for an imaginary audience,
A cash register plug for a microphone
From my first recording at age 6—
Amazing Grace—mom still plays it
I’m from “know-so” salvation at an old-time altar.
I’m from a backpack of supplies
My getaway gear—
What happened to the water in my TicTac containers?
From the generous and tender-hearted
I am from the albums full of memories
the fiercest winds can’t blow away.

Maybe I'll write an IF version someday.  It might be interesting to see how far I've come.  Ah, well.  Hang in there, gals.  The weekend is nearly here!

Hugs and love,

1 comments:

A Wife and a Teacher said...

What a neat idea! I teach a poetry unit in May, I would love to try this with my students. I am going to work on writing my own example. Thank you for sharing!!