Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I think I HAD survivor's guilt...

For some reason, I just hadn't been able to wrap my brain around this pregnancy thing.  You know..that was something that happened to other people.  Just like IVF was something other people did.  Until last month.  Then it was my turn.  I actually felt a little bit guilty that things worked so well for us.  I've met so many wonderfully deserving people through the wonderful world of the internet, yet many of you have suffered miscarriages and other such dream-squashing realities.  Why was I so lucky?

Then came today.  From the time I got dressed this morning, I just didn't feel quite right.  I couldn't put my finger on it, and I just chalked it up to hormones.  Then around lunch time, I felt just a tad bit crampy.  That was okay.  I'd read in a million different places that cramping was normal.  Nothing to worry about.  Just before I picked my kids up from art class at 12:05, I went to use the restroom and discovered that I was spotting.  Nothing major, just some brownish discharge when I wiped and just a teeny little spot on my undies.  Uh-oh.  Now, while I'd read that spotting is also normal, it's never a good thing when you have cramping and spotting at the same time.  I began to fear the worst.  And of  course, my students were of no assistance.  They were wilder than ever.  I was supposed to go in for my 3rd beta this afternoon anyway.  I emailed J and he actually asked my local OB/GYN (he works across the hall from him) about it and he said that we shouldn't worry until after today's numbers came back. 

So, after I had the test done, J and I went up to his office to wait for the results.  He tried to be optimistic the entire time we waited, but I just knew it wasn't going to be good news.  Still yet, nothing could prepare me for it.  The results came back at 140.  I was at 153 on Monday.  It's over.  So now, I wait.

I thank each of you for your well-wishes throughout this process.  I'm not sorry I did it.  And as soon as we save up some money, we'll try an FET.  But for now, we mourn.  We will mourn the child we will never get to meet, yet already loved.  It just breaks my heart.  J was SO excited.  I hope he takes some time to grieve for himself.  He's going to be such a terrific dad.  Someday.

This sucks.  (And I hate that word.  I don't let my students use it.  But it does.)

Hugs and love

14 comments:

Tanya said...

(((HUGS)))) I'm sooo sorry Angie.. I am being honest when I really really wanted this to work for you. I hate that you are going through this now. I'm here if you need me.

Steph said...

I'm so sorry! (((((HUGE HUGS)))))

Teresa said...

Oh Angie..my heart is breaking for you. You will get through this. I will be here for virtual hugs whenever you need it.

Melissa G said...

So unfair... I'm sorry.

elephantscanremember said...

(hugs) I am so very sorry.

Erin said...

DAMN. Sorry Angie.

Jenni said...

I'll be positive patty - maybe just maybe those test numbers are a fluke!!

On the other hand, I wish I had the words to say. Sorry just doesn't sound good enough.

Kitty said...

Oh Angie I am so incredibly sorry. (((HUGS))) I wish I could do or say more to make it better. I'm thinking about you.

Misty Dawn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember praying with each of my m/c's that my spotting wasn't what I thought it was. I just wish for once someone around here could have a "normal-ish" PG. I'm always negative and now I assume m/c, I guess its just my history, odds are better in the negative direction for me. Hope your FET works for you Gal. (((HUGS)))

Samantha said...

I absolutely hate this for you Angie. I am so so sorry.

M said...

I'm so so sorry. Praying for comfort for you

Lindsay said...

Oh my heart just aches for you and J. I hope you know we are all thinking about you and would make it better if only we could.

Emby said...

I am so sorry to hear that Angie. I can't imagine.

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry, Angie :(