Thursday, December 30, 2010

Do you believe in miracles?

I do.

As a matter of fact, I believe I was the recipient of one yesterday.  If you've read my recent posts, you'll know that J and I are considering doing an FET in the not-so-distant future (the exact time has not yet been decided for a number of reasons), but we were waiting to get our financial affairs in order before making any firm plans or decisions.

Last Tuesday--the day before our follow-up appointment and 4 days before Christmas--J and I met at the bank for our closing meeting on our loan for the house project.  I am all too familiar with this process and the ten thousand signatures we'd be required to make, this being my third time (once when I built the house in '05 and then again in February '09 when we refinanced).  The good news: we do not have to make a January payment since they paid off our loan just this week.  The other good news: they overestimated something on our loan (I think), which caused us to get a refund check in the mail after the paperwork went through.

If you'll recall (geesh, I'm asking you to do a lot of remembering, aren't I?), during our follow-up appointment, our RE told us she'd do an FET at a disounted rate for us.  While we questioned the reasoning, we thoroughly expected to receive the information she said she'd mail to us and spend the rest of our lives wondering if it was the exact same information/pricing that everyone else received.  Imagine my surprise when the financial manager for the clinic called me yesterday around lunch time.  She just wanted to let me know that Dr. W. had submitted my chart for review and had noted that she would be doing an FET for us at a discounted rate.  She informed me that Dr. W. was giving us a 40% discount on the clinic's fee as well as a 40% discount on the labwork/ultrasound fees.  Apparently the normal "flat-rate fee" (the cost for those of us without insurance coverage) is $3400, which is pretty average according to my research; our cost will be $2240 (plus any drugs that may be required, which will be minimal if we choose to go with the natural cycle).  She was making a note in my chart for when I call in to make our payment.   

Yes, that is still A LOT of money, but it's a lot better than we were expecting.  So, where's the miracle?  On Tuesday, we received a check via FedEx for the refund from our loan consolidation for $1,560.  That's almost enough!  Dare I say I'm starting to hope again?

Hugs and love,

5 comments:

tara @ the every things said...

hope away my dear! :)

elephantscanremember said...

Isn't it amazing how it's falling into place?!

Erin said...

That's awesome Angie. Don't wait. If you do that money will find another obligation, fast. ;)

Misty Dawn said...

Congrats girl! Thats awesome!

heartincharge said...

Oh wow! What a wonderful RE! So clear that she cares about her patients. And what perfect timing on the loan mod check. This looks more like a miracle than a coincidence to me!