Thursday, November 11, 2010

I survived my first IV

Today was retrieval day.  Let me begin by saying that J and I planned to go down last night, so as to reduce some of the stress of today by not having to leave the house super early (we had to be at the clinic at 7:30--80 miles away from home).  This might have worked as a stress-reducer had it not been the evening of the CMA awards.  Yeah, we had a little trouble finding a room, and paid way more than we wanted to.  *sigh*  If I had a nickel for every obstacle we've encountered during this whole process, I'd be rich.

But, I digress.  We arrived at the clinic late.  Ten minutes late.  I was worried about this, but they didn't seem to mind.  We were sitting in the waiting room before they'd turned all the lights on.  That's early, huh?  Soon, the OR nurse came out to get us and took us to our room for the day.  I traded in my sweatpants and comfy shirt for an air-conditioned gown and blue hat.  She came back in to go over some information, get my signature on some forms, and take my vital signs. 

Then came Vince.  He was the anesthesiologist.  He explained exactly what he was going to give me and then started the IV.  My first, by the way.  It was actually one of my biggest dreads of the entire process.  Silly, I know, but it's a scary thing for the first time.  I told him he did a good job on my first IV, and he marveled at the fact that I am 30 years old and it was my first one.  Honestly, the numbing shot hurt worse than the actual IV.  Man, that stuff stings!

Another OR nurse came in to talk to me, check my armband (despite the fact that I was the only retrieval today--but I appreciate their diligence with checking identification), and told me what to do when it came time to change beds.  The doctor came in to say hello and see if I had any last minute questions (it wasn't my doctor, but that's okay--he's the director of the clinic).  Then, it was showtime.  I remember Vince came in and shot something into my IV, but I do not remember even leaving the room.  The next thing I knew, the nurse was asking me if I'd like a soda or some juice.  And what did I reply, you might ask?  "I'll take whatever you have with no calories in it."  Geesh!  She said it was the first time anybody had ever asked for that.

I had to stay there for an hour to have my vitals monitored and to get some fluids through my IV.  Then, once I used the restroom I could leave.  I also had my first ride in a wheelchair.  Boy, it was a big day of firsts!  Before we left, they came in to tell us that they retrieved 27 eggs.  I should have an update tomorrow after noon, so I'll call my mailbox to check on them. 

We stopped by Kro.ger to pick up my prescriptions--one for pain, and one for the Vali.um I'm supposed to take back with me next week for the transfer. I'm feeling okay.  I slept on and off most of the day, but I decided that was allowed.  I'm a little crampy, but nothing major.  It actually hurts more when I am up moving around, so I guess I'll try to be still for a little while and see if that helps.  I have a mysterious bruise on my left leg and it's kind of sore.  Makes me wonder what idiotic thing I did while I was out of it.  The nurse recommended that I go ahead and take the pain pills today as directed (every 4 hours), and then tomorrow I can try switching to Tylenol as needed.  I'll likely sleep well tonight since they make me kind of groggy. 

I also survived my first injection of progesterone in oil (PIO) tonight.  J didn't give me the shot--our neighbor, who is a nurse, was kind enough to help us out with it.  But he did watch, and he may try it tomorrow night.  It didn't hurt as much as I was expecting it to.  I barely even felt it.  I guess I've got enough padding back there to take care of it!

Beta is scheduled for 11/26...the day after Thanksgiving.  I guess I'll have to skip the shopping this year.  But if that test is positive, it'll be totally worth it!

Hugs and baby dust,

5 comments:

elephantscanremember said...

I am glad it all went well, even though there were a few bumps.

Samantha said...

27 sounds FANTASTIC! Rest up and I'll be waiting for great numbers!!!

Brave IVF Girl said...

I hate IVs too -- glad you survived. Having a great anesthesiologist makes all the difference.

27 eggs is amazing -- fingers crossed for continued good news!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went so well and I think 27 eggs is awesome too!

Musewander said...

Congrats! 27 is a great number of eggs to retrieve. Praying they all fertilize well and you have your pick of a dozen or more grade a blastocyts for a day 5 transfer!
As to the transfer -- it was a cake walk for me, compared to the ER. The ER was much more uncomfortable (the cramping afterwards, etc). The ET is a breeze!

You can always do your Black Friday shopping online from the comfort of your couch or bed.. just remember to pamper yourself, take it easy, and eat lots of pineapple (hear it helps w/ implantation)!

Oh, and watch out for the pesky PIO shots -- mine didn't hurt the first 10 days, but then i started having trouble w/ little oil bubbles forming under the skin... just be sure to massage the spot for 5-10 minutes, and put a heating pad on it if you have that problem... helps the oil to break down and absorb quicker into your system.

Best of luck -- and keep us posted!