Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

I'm a bad, bad person. Or at least, I certainly feel like one today. I just came home from school and cried for 20 minutes. About absolutely nothing I can control. And it wasn't even about MD this time. I'll tell you why, but you'll just agree that I'm a bad, bad person. You see, we're adding on to our house so my MIL can move in with us. It's not what you think--really. I love my MIL, and this is the best decision for our family. While this isn't exactly the way I pictured our family expanding in 2010, it is best for all of us.

So, once we made the decision, we jumped through all the hoops at the bank. The entire process has been a "hurry-up-and-wait" kind of deal. I expected it, but Special J is new to the whole construction thing. We are turning our current garage into a (huge) family room, and we're adding a new garage with a room for MIL, plus a couple of rooms upstairs over the garage. (We do not currently have an upstairs in our house.) Once we got our loan approved (had a little trouble with the appraisal...grr), we made our first draw on the loan and paid a bit to our contractor. A week or so went by with nothing to show for it. Then, we had a dumpster delivered.

 
That was three weeks ago now. We also had to have our satellite moved. See the "old" pole?



Yesterday, I noticed that some supplies had been delivered when I got home from school. Finally, some progress! We joked that it'd be another week before anything else was done. But at church last night, my contractor asked me if we could get the rest of our stuff out of the garage before today. Um, sure. No problem. So are WE the only ones who have to work at a moment's notice? (It's a good thing I wsn't ovulating yesterday! I'd have had to tell him NO!)



So, that brings me to today. When I left for work this morning, the end of my house looked like this:





This afternoon, it looks like this:



No brick...no gutter...no garage door...no outside lights.  It's all gone.  They said they're hoping to build the floor up tomorrow.  We'll see.

There you have it. The cause of my tears. And that's why I'm a bad, bad person.  Special J, if you're reading this, please don't get the wrong idea. You just have to remember that I built this house myself (well, not with my own two hands or anything). It was mine. I happily shared it with you, but now it is changing to fit our needs. Forgive me if I'm just a little bit sad about it. I'll get over it. Soon. I promise.

Thanks for being patient with me, dear readers. I just needed a good vent session, I guess. I'll try to be more fun tomorrow.

Hugs and baby dust,

3 comments:

elephantscanremember said...

(Hugs) You're not a bad person! This is a big change for you and it's totally natural to feel overwhelmed or like it's out of your control.

Kitty said...

Aw, that is a HUGE deal! Of course you're upset and overwhelmed. (((Hugs))) You're not a bad person at all, just human!

Anonymous said...

Whoo, sounds like a huge project, hang in there and take lots of bubble baths.