Friday, March 26, 2010

How about a blast from the past?

On January 13, 2007, just 13 days after becoming engaged, I embarked on one of the most emotional adventures I encountered throughout the entire process of planning our wedding--dress shopping. Unfortunately, I was not yet turned on to the world of blogging, or I would have gladly shared that time of my life with you all. However, as I was cleaning out some files on my computer last night, it occurred to me that even though none of you "knew" me then, it doesn't mean I can't share that part of my life with you.

I've always been an avid reader and writer--and my husband asked me just the other day when I was going to write a best-seller and make us some money. I can't imagine there's anything I've penned down that anyone would care to pay to read, but I can share my ramblings with my new (and seasoned) blog buddies. The adventure I spoke of above was a Saturday. On the following Monday, my 5th grade students and I were submersed in "journal time" (I write when my students write, and then we share--on a volunteer basis), when I was inspired to write a narrative poem about my weekend experience. The following was the result of that journal session. Enjoy your Friday, ladies!


The Shopping Trip

One Saturday morning I awoke with a start.
It felt as if someone had taken out part
Of my stomach and left me instead
with a swarm of huge butterflies and a slight case of dread.
I waited and paced, dressed, then waited some more—
I had no idea what this day’d have in store.
My colleagues all claimed, “Just have fun and don’t stress!”
But would I ‘ere find the perfect wedding dress?
The “troops” all arrived and we hit the road—
my mom, me, a bridesmaid, and two friends of old.
Each outwardly seemed more excited than I,
but inside I pleaded, “Please, don’t let me cry.”
I’m usually free with my tears, you see,
and this day brought many new emotions for me.
We arrived a bit early, the shop was still closed.
Unprepared for this detour, my panic arose.
I had no idea how they all stayed so calm
while I worked to steady my trembling palm.
The time finally came and we all went inside.
I felt a bit queasy (yet, had NOTHING to hide).
No one could prepare me for what happened next—
it was madness—sheer madness—that left me perplexed.
People snatching and grabbing, yet I was at ease
for no one else wanted a gown with some sleeves!
“Now European sizes,” the saleslady warned,
“run quite a bit smaller; don’t look so forlorn!”
And smaller they were—she’d told me quite right.
I was forced to slow down just a bit in my plight
To find the right dress
without leaving depressed.
We finally found something we thought just might work.
When I put the dress on their heads turned with a jerk,
And their eyes filled with tears.
I felt like a princess for the first time in years.
“Oh, wait! I’m not done yet!” the clerk said with a frown.
“We’ll finish this look with a veil and a crown!”
She brought them both over; I pulled back my hair.
It felt like she scalped me right then and there.
My friends snapped some pictures As they “ooh-ed,” “aah-ed,” and sniffed; with that woman, I was getting a little bit miffed.
She kept finding more things I “just had to buy.”
Never mind that the pricetags were numbered too high!
We left there with nothing, depression set in.
We stopped for some lunch then began once again.
This time at a different store with more gowns,
but I found nothing there—and this time, I broke down.
I could not stop crying—my mom joined in, too.
I almost wore down the non-crier, Sue.
I wasn’t expecting emotions to play
such an integral part of this shopping trip day.
Back to the first store we went in good cheer
to buy the dress that caused the first tears.
I tried it once more to make sure it’s “the one.”
I have to admit—I was having fun.
We left with the dress but no crown, veil, or slip.
We’d make them or buy them elsewhere—that’s our tip.
I still need shoes, jewelry and each bridesmaid’s dress.
There’s 4 of them total—yikes!—but, I digress.
This was an experience I’ll never repeat.
I’m just glad the day didn’t end in defeat.
Though stressful and tiring, the day was a success.
For I came home with the perfect wedding dress!


Always,

4 comments:

Patricia said...

Great! I love your poem, how fun. I always write in my journal when I'm in the classroom too. You look beautiful in your dress. Thank you for sharing this. And my feelings are the same, I felt overwhelmed when trying to find a dress and a few times I was in tears too. We also made my veil and tiara because the bridal shops wanted to much money. Now you've intrigued me to want to hear about your wedding.......I love wedding stories.....

Kate said...

What a great synopsis of the wedding dress shopping experience - mine was quite similar! I'm glad it turned out well for you!

~ICLW

Samantha said...

That is so creative! I could have maybe gotten 4 or 5 lines out but that's it! You look beautiful in your wedding dress! I love mine, I just wish I could wear it again rather than having it hanging in my MIL's closet!

Catrisha T said...

That was beautiful and you looked gorgeous in your gown.

ICLW #33