Friday, October 22, 2010

Is it time to open presents yet?

That's kind of what it felt like when I got home yesterday afternoon and found my big box o' meds on my front porch.  (Of course, I knew it was there because I'd been tracking it since it left Boston via the UPS website.)  I was ready to unpack the sucker, take my required photo of all my new goodies, and then sock away the refrigerated items for safekeeping until next weekend.  That's when I realized my camera battery was dead.  No problem!  I have a back up battery for occasions such as this.  I went to get it from my bedroom, popped it in the camera, turned the camera on to test it (it worked), and ventured out to the front porch to snap a shot of the box--still unopened--where it rested.  I turned on my camera, and, much to my chagrin, the display showed: "Battery exhausted" and it turned itself back off.  Just my luck.  So, I cursed picked the box up and brought it in.  After getting the scissors to cut through the tape, I hesitated for just a moment.  This was it.  This is really happening.  To me.  To us.  I almost wish J was here with me.  Had there not been things in that box that needed immediate refrigeration, I'd have waited.  This was for him, too. 

So, I got it all out, one package at a time, and read it's contents label.  The cute little stryofoam cooler was a booger to open--that sucker was taped really well!  I quickly unpacked it, putting the Foll.istim cartridges and Ovi.drel syringes in a gallon freezer bag to keep it all together in the fridge until it's time for it.  (Don't want anybody mistaking it for a little box of margarine.  Hey, the 600 IU box does bear a slight resemblance to the Imper.ial box.) 

My arrangement of the tools of the trade had to wait until this afternoon.  As soon as I got home, I checked my email (I've contacted my nurse...again...because I think I'm missing a prescription.  I do NOT want anything little like this to mess this up for us), and when I saw that I had no response yet, I decided to go ahead and take my picture.  I cleared the coffee table and began to arrange my stuff.  Here's what I've got.  I've labeled it for your convenience, because I know you're just dying to know what all of this is.



1.  Foll.istim Pen Device
2.  Foll.istim AQ Cartridge (600 IU x 4)
     Foll.istim AQ Cartridge (300 IU x 2)
3.  Alcohol swabs (yeah, I don't think this going to be enough....I'll be picking up some more of these this weekend)
4.  Tetra.cycline 250 mg
5.  Meth.ylpred.nisolone
6.  Ovi.drel (HCG trigger x 2)
7.  Proges.terone in Oil (x 3)
8.  needles and syringes for PIO
9.  Complimentary book, Love and Inf.ertility (from the pharmacy)
10.  Sharps container

According to my nurse, there's another drug I'll be taking with the Foll.istim: dexa.methasone.  I'll get the filled locally after my suppression check next week.  I'm concerned because both the sample calendar I was given when I went in for IVF class and the IVF plan I received from my nurse three weeks ago stated that I would also take Ganir.elix beginning around day 6 of stims.  There was none of that on the packing list or in the box.  I've contacted my nurse to ask about this, but I have not heard back from her yet so I don't know if that's still a part of my protocol or not. 

I've made some quite notations as I thumbed through the drug information sheets that came with my meds, but I'm afraid I'll get too long-winded.  I need something to blog about tomorrow, anyway.  Happy weekend, all! I hope the weather is as great where you are as it is here.

Hugs and baby dust,

17 comments:

Brave IVF Girl said...

Based on that medication list (no Lupron), I would expect Ganirelix, so maybe they missed one line on the prescription list. I've had that happen before.

For alcohol swabs, I usually get two kinds -- the basic alcohol ones (for cleaning pens/medication glass containers, etc.) and alcohol + benzocaine (for cleaning and numbing me!) Walgreens/CVS have house brands for both.

Good luck!

Kitty said...

You have your very own pharmacy now, how wonderful! ;)

Congrats on getting all your supplies! I'm so excited for you!!!

Jes G said...

hi! stopping by for ICLW.... best of luck on your cycle!! it feels good when you have all your meds and things are ready to go!!

Keiko Zoll said...

My goodness that's intimidating, but all worth it in the end! Good luck with all of the shots and meds. I recommend getting a copy of Navigating the Land of IF by Melissa Ford- she has a pretty comprehensive shot guide so you're not all bruised and sore. I don't know yet if I'll be pursuing IVF, but from reading the book, Mel's shot guide seems pretty comprehensive.

Anywho, Happy ICLW!
~Keiko, Hannah Wept, Sarah Laughed (ICLW #142)

Lori LeRoy said...

yikes - I forgot how many meds are involved with a IVF cycle. I have some left over/unopened Crinone that I'd be happy to donate if you find out that you need that at some point. It expires in Dec and I'm desperate to give it to someone (it was probably $50 or more).

elephantscanremember said...

That seems a bit overwhelming! I'd be terrified if I ever had to do that. You're awesome. I hope this cycle brings you loads of great news. :)

Kristin said...

Wow, that pile of meds looks a bit intimidating. Good luck and I hope your cycle is a success.

ICLW #14

Circus Princess said...

How exciting to start stabbing yourself :) Such a weird thing and yet it makes perfect sense. Best of luck to you, sending a ton of baby dust your way!
Happy ICLW!

daega99 said...

Wow, look at all of those meds! Good luck on your cycle!

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

What a fun box to open!!

I hated the Ganirelix, it made me a raging B with an Itch!!!

Good Luck!!

And feel free to borrow my guess the eggs game!!

ICLW
#93

Nink said...

Oh my gosh, that picture is overwhelming! All those fertility drugs! I don't know what I'm getting into (my IVF cycle starts next month). Looks like I'll be right behind you with a BFP. *fingers crossed* I'm now following your blog and am looking forward to watching your journey unfold. :)

The Wifey said...

Isn't it amazing how exciting it is to receive a box full of meds and needles you get to stick yourself with!? LOL ... I never would've thought I'd be so happy to receive all that, but it's a joyous occasion. Means you're on your way!!!

Did they really only give you 8 alchy wipes???

Make sure you double check your prescription list. The pharmas are pretty good at sending things out overnight especially if they missed something. But getting your nurse to respond in a timely matter is a whole other situation LOL

RELH said...

Good luck with your upcoming cycle!

ICLW #26

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a box of "goodies"! Hopefully this cycle is filled with great news for you! :)

Melissa G said...

Wooo, you've got me all excited now. I won't be getting my box of joy until January, but I am SO looking forward to when I can post a picture like yours.

Congrats on gettin started, can't wait to hear about your bfp. =)

Willow said...

Oh goodness, I remember those big boxes o' meds. Good luck with your cycle!

Krissi said...

I remember when my big bag of meds came! It was quite overwhelming! Good luck with this cycle!! Wishing you all the best! Happy stimming & happy ICLW! (#72 & 106)