Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thinking about #2

No, not that #2...baby #2.  Since Lincoln was about 6 months old, people have been asking if we were thinking about having another one.  My response is determined by how well I know them (i.e., how much of our "story" they know and how well they understand my sense of humor).  Here are some of my favorite responses:

• sure...although, we "thought" about #1 for many years before he came along.

• oh, we'll just have to see what happens...

• that's easier said than done.

You see, surprises just don't seem to be in the cards for us.  We tried for 3 solid years before making an appointment with the fertility clinic.  I know that's small potatoes to some who tried much longer, but we also weren't super young when we met.  By the time we threw in the towel and resorted to IVF, I was 30. 

In the 18 months since Lincoln was born, I was on the mini pill for about 4 months. It did crazy things to my cycle, so I stopped taking it.  I've been off for a little over a year.  Nothing has happened.  No "oops" for us.  I can't tell you how much I'd just love to make a surprise announcement, but I will never be able to catch anyone off guard with such news.  Everything is so calculated...

We have two embabies left in storage.  One more shot.  We are thinking of trying one last time this summer, so I will probably be setting up a consult in late March or early April.  Likely starting prenatal vitamins again in a couple of weeks (or sooner, if I can remember to buy them).  We thought that by cycling in the summer, I wouldn't have to tell anybody at work what was going on (or explain absences), but it still won't be a surprise to grandparents because I will need a babysitter a few times.

I am hoping to shed a few pounds before then.  I would love to drop about 20, but I could certainly stand to lose more!  I just don't know when I'm supposed to have time to work out!  I'm working on a plan, though.  Hope it works out...

1 comments:

Suzanna said...

I love how you started this, I was totally thinking "huh? #2? seriously this can't be about poop..." lol.

Though these questions are about kiddo #2, the feeling behind them sure sounds a lot like them asking about kiddo #1. I'm to the point now that most people don't bother to ask anymore, I think they just assume it won't happen...

*hugs* I always imagined up ways to tell my husband I'm pregnant, ways to surprise him with it. Now Jared knows when my cycles are due to start just about as well as I do. I think he counts down to me taking a test, whereas I wish I could avoid them completely not wanting to face the negative results again...

*hugs again* I hope your embabies will be beautifully born babies someday soon.