Well, we've been back for nearly a week now, but I've not had much time to blog about our trip. We had a wonderful time, and I promise pictures will follow very soon. I'm still sorting them--I don't figure you'd really like to see all 50 pictures of the sunset!
Whew! What a week it has been! We docked on Friday morning in Charleston, and planned to drive to Knoxville to stay with some friends overnight. When we disembarked the ship, my dad and brother had messages on their cell phones telling them that a lady we went to church with had passed away while we were gone and her funeral would be on Saturday. Mom asked if we would mind coming home early on Saturday morning so we'd be back in time for the funeral. We assured her we would make it, and we set out toward Knoxville.
Somewhere along the way, J got a message from our friends saying that one of them had come down with a bug and we should probably change our plans so we didn't catch it. So, we drove straight home--with a few bathroom breaks and a lunch stop. J and I rounded out the evening with a quick grocery run so I could cook a couple of things for the lunch our church prepared for after the funeral. Oh, how my bed felt good that night! Don't get me wrong--I slept pretty good on the trip, but there's just something about snuggling under your own covers that brings comfort.
We picked up some dinner (since we'd pretty much blown our diet the entire week anyway) on the way home, and it was while I was unboxing my chicken that I saw them. ANTS. All around the sink. It was strange, though--they weren't any place else. Just around the kitchen sink. Not crawling all over the counter, not in the floor. Just around/in the sink. I grabbed a paper towel and began to get rid of the ones I saw. Satisfied, I took my dinner into the living room so we could start catching up on a couple of shows we had recorded. When I went to the kitchen to take care of the trash from dinner, I noticed they were back. Well, not really back, but new ants were there. I quickly became very frustrated. Again, I took care of the ones I could see and wracked my brain trying to figure out what to do about this problem.
On Saturday morning, I went to fix a couple of things for the funeral. When I went into the kitchen, I saw only a couple of ants. I took care of them, and went about my business. I saw very few ants for the rest of the day. The next morning, however, they were back again. ARghhh! What was I going to do with these pesky things? And I was scheduled to have a homemakers' meeting on Tuesday night! Talk about frustrated! I couldn't have these ladies come into my home with ants crawling around in my kitchen. As we were getting ready for bed that night, J asked if we didn't have some kind of ant spray or something. I checked under the sink, and, as luck would have it, we did! I read carefully and it said to make sure you didn't get any spray on untensils. Great. More good news. Not so easy to do in a kitchen, right? It also read, "For best results, spray directly on insect." So, I cleared out everything around the sink and started spraying. The andts stopped moving almost immediately. I left the spray to do its work and went to bed.
I fully expected to see NEW ants making themselves at home when I returned to the kitchen on Monday morning, but to my pleasant surprise, there were none. I scrubbed down the area I had sprayed with Soft Scrub and bleach, then sprayed and wiped it down with an antibacterial kitchen spray. So far, that seems to have taken care of the problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is over. I spent the rest of the day cleaning, unpacking, and doing laundry. That's my least favorite part of returning from vacation--all the laundry!
Tuesday, I finished cleaning a few things that I didn't get to on Monday, and spent the rest of the day cooking for my meeting that evening. Exhausted doesn't even begin to describe how I felt when I finally got into bed just before 11:00 that night. It felt so good to just stretch out in bed. But, alas, it was a very short night. I had to get up at 4:15 on Wednesday morning to get ready and take MIL to the hospital for some surgery. (Please note that I'm not complaining, I'm just journaling how my week has gone.) Yesterday, I had a meeting to go to.
This morning, I can barely walk. I don't know what's the matter with my left foot, but I can hardly stand to put any weight on it at all. I hopped around trying to get to the kitchen to get some pain reliever (and finally succeeded). Dr. Goog.le has been very little help on this matter, too. It seemed the more I tried to walk, though, it got a little bit easier. Still painful, but a bit easier. I hope it goes away soon. I don't have time to sit around. :)
Most of the rest of my spare moments have been spent reading blogs. I've tried to stay caught up with all of you wonderful ladies (sorry I haven't been much support with the comments, but I have been thinking about you and reading your entries), but I've also been checking out some other IVF stories. J and I are seriously discussing giving it one shot. Since the doctor has told us that it is pretty much our only shot at conceiving, J feels that we will regret it forever if we don't at least try everything we can. We can't possibly afford more than one round, and I hate to put all my eggs in one basket, but I think we'll probably be filling out the new patient forms very soon. We can at least go for the consult. I am not quite sure how it will all work, though, with the RE's office being a whole state away. Oh, well. I suppose I'll work it all out when the time comes.
Well, I'm sorry this post got so long. I'll break up our trip so there won't be anymore marathon posts. If you've made it this far, thanks for being such a good friend and sticking it out! I hope everyone has a terrific weekend.
Hugs and baby dust,
Friday, June 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comments:
I am glad you had a fun time and am very sorry to hear of the loss of a church friend. (Hugs) Ants don't like cinnamon, so if you do have a problem with them again and don't want to spray, perhaps you could sprinkle some around to keep them at bay.
Post a Comment